Aluminum recycling is prevalent everywhere, and used beverage container recycling is the most recognized of all the scrap metal recycling initiatives. Cars, window frames, electronics, wire tubing, building parts, and electronics are all sources of aluminum recycling.
Aluminum Recycling Facts
- More than $700 million worth of aluminum cans are thrown away every year in the U.S. alone.
- While aluminum scrap prices are not as high as metals such as copper and brass, the aluminum industry still spends more than $800 million dollars a year on recycled aluminum cans.
- Aluminum recycling saves energy – so much so that one recycled can saves enough energy to listen to an entire music album on an MP3 player.
- Nearly 75% of all aluminum produced in the U.S. is still in use today.
- Aluminum recycling is a never-ending process; aluminum can be recycled over and over again, which means the aluminum recycling price you earn today can be earned repeatedly.
The most common aluminum scrap items we will see are used beverage cans, old Cast aluminum (no more than 5% Fe), new cast aluminum (No Fe attachments), litho sheets, aluminum radiators, aluminum extrusions, and aluminum siding.
The most-important aspect about aluminum recycling is separating clean prepared scrap aluminum from unprepared, dirty scrap. Clean aluminum scrap should not contain adulterating metallic alloy attachments, adhesive, felt, insulation, steel, or zinc attachments.
How to Get the Best Aluminum Recycling Price
Before bringing your scrap aluminum to our Merrillville scrap yard, make sure it only contains aluminum. If your aluminum is mixed with other types of metals, it will impact the aluminum recycling price we are able to pay. Also, in order to get the highest aluminum scrap price possible, it is important that your aluminum scrap is clean, rust-free, and garbage-free. We will offer you a higher aluminum scrap price if you follow these simple steps. Finally, make sure your aluminum scrap has no other metals attached to it. Screws, nails, and other attached parts will reduce the aluminum recycling price you receive.
In short, the less difficult and more efficient it is for the folks at Merrillville Metal Recycling to prepare your scrap for smelting, the higher aluminum recycling price we are able to pay.
For our current aluminum scrap prices, click here. And to calculate what your aluminum scrap might be worth, check out our online scrap price calculator.